12 Highly Effective Ways of Putting Off Writing a Blog Post (or Other Somewhat Productive Activity)
You know how sometimes you want – or need – to do something, but you’re just not quite ready, mentally or emotionally, to tackle the project? Well, I’m here to help you out. Whether it’s writing a blog post, doing the dishes, folding the laundry or any other various and sundry productive activity that might be lounging around on your to-do list.
Here are a dozen highly effective ways of putting off that thing you need or want (just not right now) to do:
1. Play Words with Friends. Don’t just slap any word up there, either. Give it some thought. Ponder, strategize, shuffle your letters. If you think about it long enough, you may just come up with a 63 point word (like perch played across a triple word and triple letter).
2. Play Draw Something. This is especially effective if you’re just a few points away from having enough credit to buy new colors.
3. Check Facebook. Repeatedly. Post a few status updates while you’re there. And, maybe upload a picture or two.
4. Take some photos with Instagram. This can also go along with number 3, above, if you don’t have any photos handy to upload.
5. Check Twitter. Repeatedly. Make sure to check each of your groups and lists, too. You don’t want to miss anything.
6. Stop to admire your son’s new video game. He’ll be happy to tell you all about it and show you all the cool stuff that came with the special edition set. Bonus points for bonding with your kid while showing interest in the things that interest him (even if he doesn’t smile).
7. Check your phone. Somebody might have sent you a text (or played their turn on Draw Something) and you just didn’t hear it. Be sure to respond if they did.
8. Check your email. Be sure to click any links that you might find to forums in which you participate, so that you can respond to those, as well.
9. Get the dogs some water. They might want some food, too. Don’t forget the cats.
10. Make a snack. It’s hard work blogging (or washing dishes or folding laundry…or even just thinking about doing any of those things). You don’t want your strength to fail you.
11. Go to the bathroom. Even if you don’t really need to. I mean, really, you just had a snack. You probably drank something, too. You have needs. Be sure to take a book or a magazine with you. Sometimes you need those little snippets of time to catch up on your reading.
12. Check your feed reader. Somebody may have published a blog post that you haven’t seen yet. You need to read it. It might inspire you.
Of course, those are just some random ideas off the top of my head. I’d never do anything of these things when I’ve got something that I need to do. And, if I did, I sure wouldn’t write a blog post about it.
I know I'm guilty of quite a few of these! I have a whole list of things I need/want to get done today, but I've come up with so many distractions 😉
Thanks for making me smile this morning, glad I'm not the only one, but you did forget "designing things in Photoshop". I spent 2 hours last night designing and mapping my categories for my blog sidebar when I was suppose to be writing a blog post. I don't have anything to post, but my sidebar sure looks great :)!
Oh, and I might have also checked Facebook, Twitter, email and my reader about a hundred times in those two hours or maybe not :).
OK – that just made me laugh…on so many different levels!
Printing this list out for future reference!
Lol! I am guilty of a few of those a little bit more than I should be! That is my son's favorite video game too.
If I had Photoshop, it probably would have made the list. 😉 Now, I'm off to check our your preetty sidebar!
Mission accomplished! I'm glad somebody else thought it was funny because I thought it was hilarious…and painfully accurate. 😉
Good…just don't blame me for your lack of productivity. lol
Hmmm…the only one I can say I never do is #6–and that's only because I don't have a boy! Thanks for the laughs today!
Are you watching me or something! I do about 10 of these on a regular basis! Checking FB, Twitter, email and blogs are my personal favorite.
Hilarious! Reminds me, I need to check Facebook…
You should do that now. 😉
Are you following me? My 14 yr old doesn't smile in pics either. Ha! Thanks for the laugh!
Hahahaha! I am doing a few of these as I write, right now! This is too funny and I am so glad I found you after losing all of my favorites links. My 9yo. DS doesn’t smile in pics either. LoL Neither does DH. It *must* be a guy thing!