Most of us tend to have a little more free time in the summer. We also have a tendency to want to avoid overtaxing our brains. In light of those two facts, I thought I’d share with you the Top 10 WUHS posts so far this year – fun reading that won’t tax your brain while you lie around beside the pool or wherever you happen to be spending your time today. They’re even in reverse order, as all good countdowns should be.
10. Homeschool Pros and Cons – Lest you think homeschooling is all unicorns, rainbows, and puppies, I’d like to set the record straight.
9. The Public School Parents’ Guide to Homeschooling Parents – This post is my all-time number one, but it’s down to number 9 for the first six months of this year. It needs a little love.
8. Top 5 Ways to Ensure Your Homeschooled Kid Is Weird and Unsocialized – This one got me a vote for worst parent ever. Yeah, someone apparently thought it was a serious list. See?
“you are a psycho!! why in the heck would you want your kids to be wierdos??? get a life and be a better parent!”
I would say something snarky about the capitalization, but my weird, unsocialized homeschoolers rebel about using capital letters, too. And, of course, it should be “i before e except after c…or in the word weird,” which is just weird, if you ask me. (As Josh would say, do you see what I did there?)
7. How to Make a Salt Dough Map – Salt dough maps are a great way to get hands-on with history and geography. We haven’t done one in awhile. Maybe it’s about time to rectify that situation.
6. Step-by-Step: Making a Paper Mâchè Earth Model – The model Earth project was one of those rare events in which something I had pictured in my mind turned out just exactly as I’d envisioned it. Can you believe that I recently discovered that we didn’t keep the model? I hope I had a good reason for tossing it when I did.
5. Weight Loss Tips for Homeschool Moms – I love seeing this post on Pinterest. It’s a collection of some of my favorite posts from my weight-loss blog, which is now merged with this one. (You can find all my weight-loss posts by clicking the “Weight-Loss” button in the navigation bar.) I love seeing this post repinned because I think it gives people hope that they can overcome obesity, too.
4. 10 Lies People Believe About Homeschooling Families – Wherein I confess my dislike of Birkenstock shoes, denim jumpers, and rising before the sun.
3. 10 Homeschool Lunch Ideas – These are some of my kids’s favorite lunch ideas – mostly not-so-healthy. Although it didn’t make the Top 10, you’re welcome to check out my quick and healthy lunch ideas, but my kids don’t eat them.
2. Our Curriculum – This page is always in the Top 10. We homeschooling families love to see what other homeschooling families are using. I haven’t updated the page with our 2013-2014 curriculum, but not much will be changing. I hope to have the page updated by the time we resume school in July.
1. 5 Homeschool Blogs You Should Be Following – This list of five of my favorite homeschool blogs is pretty old…but nothing has changed. They’re all still five of my favorites and if you’re not following them, you should be.
And, just as a bonus, the one post that I was surprised didn’t make the top ten because it’s a personal favorite – Getting It All Done: When Homeschool and Housework Collide (a post about balancing homeschooling and housework).
So, where are you enjoying blog post reading today?
This post is linked to Top Ten Tuesday.