Top Ten Things About the Birthday Girl
I love me a good Top Ten post. I think they’re a blast to write. In honor of my baby’s — my baby’s — ninth birthday today — seriously, how did that happen? — I thought I would share my Top Ten things about Megan.
1. She’s giving. Megan has a good heart. Her love language, like mine, is gifts. It’s not unusual to find little notes and drawings from her left here and there, just to say, “I love you.” Of course, she has been known to use her drawings to express her displeasure, as well. She’s gotten really into writing notes for relatives, friends, and the kids’ church workers.
2. She’s not afraid to stand up for herself. This can sometimes be a bit of a negative because if there’s a skirmish on a public playground, I have to make sure Megan’s not in the middle of it — and sometimes she is. However, being confrontation-phobic as I am, I appreciate having a kid who’s not afraid so stand up for herself. She can take care of herself and I admire that.
3. She’s incredibly outgoing. Megan is the kid who will tell her entire life story to a stranger in the line at the grocery store. She most definitely is not one of those poor, unsocialized, super-introverted homeschooled kids you hear so much about. She has a new best friend every time we leave a public play place and she’s not one to be left out. She’ll walk right up to a group of kids, introduce herself, and ask if they want to play.
In our eternally long search for a new church home (which is finally over, thank goodness!), Megan never blinked about going to kid’s church by herself if Josh didn’t want to go. She’d walk right on in there, confidently, and come out telling me about her new friends. I love that about her.
4. She’s not self-conscious. My mom got Megan a camera with video capabilities for her birthday. Megan’s been going all over the house making these documentary videos on her camera and she talks to the thing just like she’d talk to a friend sitting right in front of her. It cracks me up! There’s no shyness or self-consciousness like a lot of people (me!) would have in front of a camera, just a conversational style of speaking. She sings at the top of her lungs when she feels like singing and is just completely herself in any situation.
5. She’s got her own sense of style. The kid loves clothes and she has her own sense of what she likes and what she doesn’t. It never seems to fail that, in warm weather, the only cute thing (in her opinion) she’s got to wear is a winter outfit and vice versa when the weather is cold. I’ll never forget catching one of her less-than-stellar fashion moments on camera. I love that picture. Looking back on it, I should have just let her go out like that.
6. She’s encouraging. Megan is always encouraging others. She’s constantly telling me how proud she is of how much weight I’ve lost. She tells her sister how well she draws or her brother how creative his Lego projects are.
7. She’s compassionate. When Brianna had her wisdom teeth extracted a couple of months ago, Megan sat with her nearly the whole time she was convalescing. Megan would take Brianna bowls of soup or Jell-O or those all-important glasses of tea.
8. She’s energetic. Yes, I am choosing to look at this as a positive. Remind me of that tomorrow when I’m considering getting her tested for ADD.
9. She’s fair-minded. Megan is quick to forgive. She’s also willing to listen. If she’s mad or her feelings are hurt, if you take the time to explain — how her actions may have made someone else feel or why a certain decision was made — she listens. She can forgive or get over her anger in an instant once she understands the circumstances and, if she was at fault, she’ll accept responsibility for her actions and ask for forgiveness.
10. She’s independent. Maybe it comes from being the youngest of three, but she’s always had the attitude that, if it is physically possible for her to do something herself, she will. While I hate the “growing up too fast” aspect of it, I’m really proud of her spirit and her willingness to try things on her own.
Happy 9th Birthday, Megan! I love you from the bottom of my heart and I am so super-proud of you!
… and cute to boot!
Happy Birthday Megan!!
Happy birthday to Megan! 🙂
What an awesome post! Please tell Megan happy birthday from Haley.
Sounds like a great girl — great photos, too!
Happy Birthday, Megan! What a great post about your sweet girl!
Happy Birthday!!! She sounds like a wonderful young lady.
Sounds like you have a wonderful daughter!
Such amazing top ten things to be proud of. My Georgia is a lot like your daughter, especially #2. She is sweet and kind but would never put up with bullying, of anyone! I love that kind of spunk!
I also wanted to let you know how much I love your blog so I chose you for a "lovely blog award". Just visit my blog to pick it up. 🙂