The contents of my fridge have changed quite a bit as my body shape and diet have changed. I confess to sometimes feeling a little prideful about my shopping cart, too. It’s usually piled high with produce by the time I check out. With my changing taste buds, there are 10 healthy favorites you’ll always find in my fridge.
1. Red peppers. I love a crispy, yummy, sweet red pepper. I’m not opposed to the yellow and orange ones either. I love red pepper slices as a side for my sandwiches. I also love them with roasted broccoli.
2. Jicama. Along with red peppers, jicama has replaced chips for me – so much so, that I’d choose red peppers and jicama over chips, even if the calories were the same. I slice this root vegetable up and eat it raw. I’ve never tried to cook it. I probably should sometime.
3. Hummus. Just as I’ve replaced my chips with veggies, I’ve replaced my dip with hummus – not just any hummus either. It has to be Sabra and I prefer, specifically, Sabra roasted pine nut hummus. Yum.
4. Fruit. Apples and oranges have become a staple, though I’ve had to go back to Fuji from Honeycrisp until next fall. In excess of $1 per apple is a little pricey for me. We’re also quite fond of grapes and strawberries.
5. Lettuce. I try to keep lettuce washed, cleaned, and ready to go for salads. I really love the artisan lettuce that comes with four different types in one container.
6. Spinach. There is almost always fresh spinach in my fridge these days. I love it in my quinoa bowl, an omelet (with caramelized onions and mushrooms), or a salad.
7. Mushrooms. I used to eat raw mushrooms in salad, but I can’t handle them raw anymore. I do love them sautéed in a variety of dishes, though: in omelets, on burgers, or with eggplant for spaghetti.
8. Water. I always keep a rotation of water bottles in my fridge. We have a dispenser in the door, but it doesn’t get the water cold enough for me. I try to keep a bottle handy at all times. It keeps me from eating or drinking less healthy options. The pink bottle is special – it’s the water I use to mix my Spark every morning.
9. Eggs. Eggs are a great source of protein. Truth be known, though, I usually only eat them on Saturday mornings. However, I have a boy who loves to whip up an omelet, scrambled eggs, or deviled eggs for a snack at any given time.
10. Sweet tea. Okay, the sweet tea may not be healthy, but it’s healthier than it used to be (I use less sugar now) and, really, did y’all expect me to write a post on 10 things you’ll always find in my fridge and not include sweet tea?
What are your favorite healthy foods?