I sometimes say that it doesn’t take much to impress me. I think we homeschool moms can be pleased by the simple things in life sometimes. I thought it would be fun to compile a list of the little things that can make a homeschool mom happy – with a couple of big ones thrown in for good measure.
1. A library with Wi-Fi. A couple of weeks ago, I took Megan to a social event at a local library. I was wondering what I was going to do for two hours since there aren’t too many places to hang out in that particular part of town. I really had some things I needed to work on online, so I took my laptop hoping they had Wi-Fi, but knowing that there were things I could work on off-line if they didn’t.
I can’t even tell you how happy it made me to discover they had Wi-Fi or how much work I got done in a quiet library alone for two hours.
2. A café with or without Wi-Fi.
3. Those ah-ha moments. I can’t imagine there’s a homeschool mom around who doesn’t relish those moments when a kid fully grasps a new concept for the first time.
4. Independent learners. This one makes me so happy! We’ve been at this homeschooling thing for over 11 years now. My youngest two are both in middle school and I’m finally seeing the fruit of all those years invested in building the foundation to move them to independent learning.
Moms of littles, hang in there! The day will come when they don’t need you for everything.
5. Homeschool conventions. They’re mom socialization…with books.
6. Enjoying the read-aloud as much or more than the kids. I would read The Adventures of Robin Hood even if something happened and the kids didn’t have to finish it.
7. A clean house.
8. Folded laundry. Those two seconds when the laundry is caught up are simply heavenly.
9. A day at home alone.
10. An evening out friends.
11. Take out.
12. Flowers to brighten the schoolroom (which may or may not also be the dining room or some other main living area of the house).
13. A beautiful spring day.
14. Chick-Fil-A tea. (That might just be me.)
15. The smell of new books.
16. Freshly-sharpened pencils (or a brand-new box of crayons – or just new office products, in general).
17. When the hands-on project or science lab turns out just like you expected.
18. The UPS truck.
19. The first day of school.
20. The last day of school.
21. A snow day.
22. A field trip that someone else planned and organized.
23. Little checks by all the boxes on the lesson plans.
24. When the dog eats the lesson plans. (Okay, maybe I’m just imagining that one.)
25. Spending all day with your favorite people in the whole world (with the possible exception of your husband because, you know, you’ve got to pay the bills somehow).
What are some of the little things that make you happy?