I took a little blogging break last week, in part because I could feel my priorities and my time management skills spiraling out of control. I wanted to spend some intentional time with my family. It was a great week and I’m feeling on a much more even keel now.
I thought I’d share some of the ways my family and I have been enjoying spending time together recently.
1. Biking. In my obese years, I never, ever thought I would enjoy such an active way of spending time together as a family. Now, I love it! We’ve gone a couple of times in the last week. Well, the first time Brianna and I walked and ran, while everyone else rode. This worked out well because it was easier for Megan to keep up.
On that note, this weekend I saw the coolest thing for young kids. It’s called a trailer bike and something I would be totally interested in if I had smaller kids – and, honestly, I’m still pretty interested in it for Megan.
2. Playing video games. Yeah, I know they get a bad rap, but there are several video games that we really enjoy playing together as a family. Wii Sports is one of our favorites. Brianna got a PS2 for Christmas (yeah, she wanted the older system) and we’ve all been enjoying playing the Sing Star games. And, of course, we love our Rock Band.
3. Watching TV. Again with the bad rap, but we love watching shows like The Biggest Loser and American Idol together. As we watch, we talk about who we like and don’t like, what’s going on, and who we hope wins. They aren’t the kind of shows that you have to be perfectly quiet through in order not to miss stuff.
We also really like Pawn Stars. Just in case you wondered. And, piling up in the bed with a movie and a big bowl of popcorn can’t be beat.
4. Playing board and card games. Some of our favorites are Uno Attack, Aggravation, and Pictionary, which we always play “win, lose, or draw” style on the dry erase board.
5. Reading. Okay, this is more of a one-on-one thing since we haven’t ever really perfected the family read-aloud, but Megan and I have really been enjoying the Little House series at bedtime. And, Josh and I are engrossed in the Jedi Apprentice series, which are really quite interesting.
6. Coloring. This one tends to be just me and Megan, but occasionally we can draw Josh in with a Star Wars coloring book and Brianna is totally into drawing anime.
7. Nerf wars. Just typing that makes me realize that it’s been way too long since we’ve done this one. So much fun!
8. Going out for dessert. Whether it’s a midday Frosty like Josh and I enjoyed yesterday (except I had water…trying to get that last 30 pounds off) or $1 scoop night at the local ice cream shop, everyone enjoys a special dessert treat every now and again.
9. Camp fires. My kids love it when Dad builds a camp fire in the front yard. We roast marshmallows and build s’mores. Yum! It’s been a little while since we’ve done this one, but I bet we get another chance or two before spring is officially here.
What are some things that you and your family enjoy doing together?