Summer is almost here! That means family trips to the beach are right around the corner. Here is a quick and easy project to help capture special memories of the sun and sand: Make your own beach in a jar.
Several years ago we started to create these beach in a jar keepsakes. We were looking for something to help us remember our beach days and these unique and personalized jars were more meaningful than any other souvenir we could find.
Not only do our jars remind us of special family times together, but we have also used these to spark educational lessons and discussions as we’ve noticed differences in the sand and shells we collect.
Supplies for making a beach in a jar
- Glass jar with a tight fitting lid (Mason jars or decorative jars from a craft store work well.)
- Paper tags (You can make your own tags with card stock and scissors.)
- Pen (Sharpie, pen, or color pencils to write on the tag)
- String, yarn, or ribbon
- Stamps or stickers (optional)
- Shells and sand
How to make a beach in a jar
Step 1: Wash the glass jar and lid and dry completely.
Step 2: Add sand to the bottom of the jar, then arrange shells on top of sand. Place the lid on the jar and tighten securely.
Step 3: Decorate your tag. We usually include the date and location. You can use stamps, pencils, stickers, etc. to add more decoration to the tag.
Step 4: Attach the tag to the jar using string, ribbon, or yarn.
** Be very careful transporting your beach in a jar back home! Make sure the glass does not get damaged and try not to shake the jar too much or the shells will get buried under the sand!**
Beach education ideas
When you get back home you can use your jar to remind you of your fun-filled times at the beach. For a little added education you can:
- Research the types of shells collected and the creatures that once used these shells for shelter.
- Create more jars as you visit different beaches and compare the color and consistency of the sand.
- On a map, mark the beaches your family visits over the years and note interesting landmarks, animals, or shells you find there.
We hope you have a fun and interesting summer filled with special family memories!