Unexpected Benefits of Homeschooling (Kid Version)
A couple of years ago, I share my list of unexpected benefits of homeschooling. I’ve also compiled lists of reasons kids love homeschooling and why parents love homeschooling.
I thought it was high time I shared the kid version of the unexpected benefits – you know, with my quirky sense of humor flair. Because that’s just how we roll around here.
What are the benefits of homeschooling for kids?
1. You’re always the smartest kid in the class. I mean, you may have siblings, but unless you’re a twin or other multiple, you’re probably the smartest kid in your class.
2. You’re always the teacher’s pet. Again, you may have to share the spotlight with siblings, but you’re always one of your teacher’s favorites.
3. You never have to wait in the cold or rain at the bus stop. Enough said, yes?
4. You’re practically a member of the school board. You probably have at least some input on curriculum, extracurricular activities, and the school calendar. You probably don’t even have to lobby not to have art funding cut.
5. Your birthday is always a school holiday. Forget Washington and Lincoln! When you homeschool, you get your birthday off. This is one of those times in which having siblings comes in handy – because you get their birthdays off, too!
6. You’re in the popular crowd. I mean, really, everybody in your school knows who you are.
7. You never have to sit on a carpet square during recess. Because, oh my gosh, your mom would go crazy if you didn’t go outside to burn off some energy.
8. Nobody teases you if you bring your stuffed animals to school or show up in a superhero costume. Because, let’s face it, sometimes math is easier with a buddy – or when you’re Iron Man.
9. It’s not so bad getting called on to read aloud in front of the class. After all, it’s usually just your mom, your siblings, and the dog.
10. If you get stuck on cafeteria duty, you only have a few dishes to wash, not hundreds of trays. Plus, you can probably listen to music while you work or rattle off some spelling words so you’ve got extra free time in the afternoon.
What would your kids add as one of the unexpected – and slightly humorous – benefits of homeschool?
This post is linked to Top Ten Tuesday and the Hip Homeschool Hop.
I love this! My kids would agree with all!
You can almost always take a break!
Noah, 4th Grade
Bathroom breaks can take awhile if you are at a good part and nature calls. Plus no waiiting in line with the huge wooden hall pass.
My son’s favourite things about home school are, not being pushed into the lockers, being able to take different grade levels on subjects to fit his learning levels, and school starts at what ever time of day you choose.
Playing Minecraft on breaks and jumping on the trampoline for PE.
I can jjjjjjjjjump like a lizard any time.
My kids say no school programs of singing! 🙂
For number nine I would like to add stuffed animals, too. We have to have a full audience when reports are being read or books are being read out loud. Fun times!
Our youngest is 10. His 11 year old sister just informed him that you have to shower and change in gym class at public school…….Have not had one complaint about homeschool all day.
Library days that often end with a trip to a local pizza buffet.
According to my 10, 9 & 5…. Every day is jammy day, school lunch is always good, Scrabble Jr counts as language arts if you use each word in a sentence, and waving and laughing at the kids coming up the hill with huge backpacks counts as socialization / recess.