Losing weight can be hard. It seems like once you decide to change your eating habits and start exercising more, the stars align to conspire against you. Whenever I make those changes – again, even after having lost nearly 90 pounds – two things usually happen: my workouts make me ravenous and my cravings go through the roof.
There are a few tricks that I’ve learned to help curb cravings when trying to lose weight or maintain a loss.
1. Drink lots of water. I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating. Drinking water gives my mouth something to do besides eat junk.
2. Indulge, in moderation. Sometimes a little taste will satisfy the craving and I can move on.
3. Remove temptation. For the most part, I don’t even bring into the house foods that might tempt me.
4. Distract yourself. Going for a walk, calling a friend, or removing myself from the vicinity of the temptation can sometimes provide enough distraction to curb cravings.
5. Chew gum or savor a piece of hard candy. Gum and hard candy typically don’t have a lot of calories and can provide a more satisfying option than water for giving my mouth something to do.
With Option 5 in mind, I was excited to discover the new Werther’s Original Sugar Free candies! Werther’s have long been one of my favorite hard candies, with their smooth caramel taste. Most sugar free foods sacrifice taste with sugar, so I was anxious to see if the Werther’s Originals were any different.
They were. Yum!
They taste just as delicious as the regular Werther’s candies. After tasting one myself, I offered one to Brian. He had the same reaction I did, asking in disbelief, “These are sugar free??”
He went on to note that most sugar-free foods have an aftertaste, but these don’t. He agreed that they’re just as good as the original version. And, the kids? Well, let’s just say that I wish they’d learn what a trashcan is for because I’ve been picking up Werther’s wrappers all over the house. The only one who doesn’t like them is Megan and she doesn’t like caramel.
Josh said I should tell y’all that they’re the worst things ever. That’s why he’s being forced to eat them all, so that none of the rest of us will have to suffer the torture. That’s sarcasm for, “These are really delicious, so I’m going to eat as many as I can get away with.”
The new Werther’s Original Sugar Free candies come in a variety of flavors:
- Original caramel – my favorite
- Caramel apple – tart and yummy
- Caramel cinnamon – spicy and delicious
- Carmel coffee – Brian says they’re good. These are the only flavor I haven’t tried. I just can’t make myself do it because I hate coffee. He’s really sad to have the whole bag to himself. Um, yeah.
My biggest trigger for mindless snacking is being on the computer. That’s why you’ll always find a water bottle sitting next to my laptop. Now, I can add a handful of these Werther’s Sugar Free candies. At just 40 calories for 5 pieces, that’s some pretty guilt-free snacking and, if I can talk myself out of crunching them up, they can keep my taste buds occupied for quite some time.
Would you like to give the new Werther’s Original Sugar Free candies a try? You can “like” Werther’s on Facebook to get a $1 off coupon and a chance to win a gift pack.
Have you tried Werther’s new sugar free candies? Let me know what you thought!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective, and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Kris Bales is a newly-retired homeschool mom and the quirky, Christ-following, painfully honest founder (and former owner) of Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers. She has a pretty serious addiction to sweet tea and Words with Friends. Kris and her husband of over 30 years are parents to three amazing homeschool grads. They share their home with three dogs, two cats, a ball python, a bearded dragon, and seven birds.