I have to thank my cousin Megan for sharing with me the incredibly easy, calorie-friendly and healthy concept of fruit salad. No, no, not that nasty stuff in the can. Homemade yumminess that you can enjoy for breakfast, snack, or side dish without any guilt.
You can use just about any fruit that you enjoy or that is in season. You can also go what whatever quantities suit your needs. I honestly haven’t been making enough because the fruit salad is very popular around here, but I don’t have a bigger bowl.
Here’s what I’ve been using lately:
- 2 apples (one Fuji and one Granny Smith, typically), chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 4-5 strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup grapes (red or green, whichever is on sale)
- 1 jar mandarin oranges (I use Dole in the plastic jar), drained
- 1 jar pineapple (I really like fresh, but unless it’s on sale, I use the Dole in the plastic jar), drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 chopped pecans
- 1/2 coconut flakes
Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate.
Serving size: 1 cup; calories: 145.2; fat: 4.4 g; proteins: 1.4 g; carbs: 27.8 g
I love eating the fruit salad plain or with a dollop of vanilla yogurt and sprinkled with granola. Yum!